Here's our starting point for the main communal space, which has served as an intimidating library for many many years (yes, Steve read all of those books).
- Keeping green while applying design techniques to what has been and will continue to be a farmhouse. Rustic but clean look, lots of reclaimed wood, etc. etc.
- Keeping all the books (expanding the last wall to match the others as floor-to-ceiling storage? Using casters on the floating middle shelves?)
- Eventually laying down new flooring (in interim, filling all the knotholes in existing floor wood)
- Sealing the space under the ramp (currently leads draftily to original foundation, basement)
- Patching up dents in the wall, fresh paint as needed
- New seating arrangement (starting with throwing out that old couch--there's a reason Lana put a cover on it! Ideally maybe a very large L couch with fold-out capabilities so it doubles as a sleeping area?)
- Figuring out a way to insulate. There are a lot of windows and a big sliding glass door in this room. It's drafty!
Ideas and suggestions welcome!