BetterArts is seeking reporters, musicians, show anchors, volunteers, story tellers, gardeners, savantes, and local personalities for its new station, Better Radio WBTS 88.5 FM.
The low-power FM station, set to go live at the annual Better Festival June 20, 2015, is getting ready for its launch by archiving content throughout the winter months.
Better Radio will feature an NPR-like format that showcases everything going on in the North Country; from original music to gardening advice to fishing and hunting reports, conservation efforts, news and weather, political roundups, health and wellness programming, and much much more.
A series of workshops will be slated throughout the winter to offer free training to any interested volunteers in the basic mechanics of sound engineering, editing, uploading, and syncing files for use on-air. Anyone interested in renting a recorder to create sound files (original music, funny jokes, personal narrative, or interviews) is welcome to do so free of charge as long as he or she has had a basic training session in how to use the equipment.
Here is a list of programming planned so far. If you have interest in contributing as a guest, musician, interview subject, reporter, sponsor or otherwise, please email
. Until we go on-air in J
une, we will be pre-recording segments, renovating o
ffice space to s
erve as station studio, and creati
ng connections with local organi
zations. This is a great time to get in
is exciting new project! We are also accepting
dia, broadcast journalism
, or sound engineering. Musicians applying to the residency program additionally now have the opportunity to host their own show
time here or contribute their music to the station for airtime.
- “On the Spot” interviews and coverage of local events
- Upcoming events listings for area organizations, school performances, etc.
- “On This Day in History” tidbits
- Daily Farmers Almanac
- Local bands' original tracks
- Trade our local music with music from other LPFM stations and artists around the world
Better Health & Wellness
- Eating local and in season
- Diet and lifestyle advice
- Herbals, homeopathy
- Encouragement, Inspiration
- Worship services
- Yoga sessions
- Guided meditation
- Inspirational stories of synchronicity and coincidence
- Interviews with reps from outdoors-based organizations in the North Country
- Fishing/Hunting Report
- Water temps in local lakes, river
- Survival/wild edible plants/foraging
- Naptime storytelling/reading children's books
- Interviews with children
- Programming for kids(sing-a-longs, re-aired public use kids' segments)
- Recorded poetry readings
- Interviews with Local Authors
- Storytelling/Personal tales
- Jokes, puns, listener quetsions and call-ins
- Interviews with local artists
- Dear Abbey Advice
- Call-in advice with guest panel
- Interviews with gardeners
- Interviews with farmers for growing tips and tricks
- Guest speakers from Cornell Cooperative Extension, local nurseries, etc.
- Planting Guides